Yummy snack! These crispy strips can help satiate that “Help! I need something crunchy” craving that we all get from time to time. They’re great on their own or you can dip them into something like…..guacamole! Because any excuse to eat guacamole is alright by me. Now, as an added bonus I have also found these tend to go over well with kiddos, especially if you call them chips.
A couple suggestions: try to set up your oven so you can use as many racks at a time as possible. You probably will need about 3 baking pans, or you can do them in batches. I like to double the recipe and do several batches in the oven while I am prepping dinner- this gets the bulk of the work over with all at the same time!
- 3 carrots
- 1½ Tbl oil, such as avocado or coconut
- 1 tsp salt
- Optional: ½ tsp granulated garlic or ¼ tsp paprika for a little spice
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel the carrots into ribbons. Inevitably you won't be able to peel the entire carrot, so save the remaining for another use (like soup).
- Toss the ribbons in a bowl with oil and salt until they are well coated.
- Add garlic or paprika if using and toss.
- Lay the ribbons in a single layer on several baking pans.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then flip the carrots over, bake for 5 minutes, then keep checking as you bake every 2-3 minutes. The ribbons go from looking almost ready to burnt pretty quickly so they need a little babysitting! They are fine when slightly browned & crispy.
- Remove from oven & allow to cool.
*Please note: the carrot ribbons shrink a lot in the oven as they get crispy, which is part of why I recommend doing a bigger batch- at least double this recipe. If you’re going to take the time to peel carrots and roast them, you might as well get a bunch done at once so you have more to show for your efforts!