This is a great soup to make on Sunday and have the next day for an easy lunch or dinner. The flavors get better after a day, as the ingredients have time to mix together.
Kale & Sausage Soup
A simple, nutrient-dense soup that is surprisingly easy to prepare.
Author: Grace Brinton
Recipe type: Dinner
- 1 Tbl butter or ghee
- 12 oz sausage: with or without casing is fine. I used a sweet italian sausage from a local pastured and organic pork farm.
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large parsnip (or sub your favorite root veggie), diced
- ½ head fresh kale, chopped
- 1 tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper
- Approximately 24 oz chicken stock, or use any homemade broth you have
- Heat a medium sized soup pot over medium heat. Add butter/ghee and allow to melt.
- If using sausage in a casing, slice into ½-inch thick pieces. Brown the sausage evenly in pot, you may need to brown in several batches so you don’t overcrowd the pot.
- Once browned, remove the sausage and set aside in a bowl.
- Turn heat down to med-low, adding onion, celery, carrots and stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Add your garlic, cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add parsnip and kale, stir to combine, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Return your cooked sausage to the pot.
- Add just enough broth to cover all the ingredients. If you run out of broth, just add water.
- Turn heat down to low, cover pot and simmer gently until parsnip is soft when poked with a fork.
- Taste for seasoning, you may want more salt.
Kale & Sausage Soup was last modified: December 31st, 2015 by