I made these on a whim today and really liked them! I used some pumpkin puree and chicken broth to keep the burgers from drying out. Served them with homemade “special sauce ketchup”, a simple carrot slaw, lettuce, and sweet potato buns!
My special sauce ketchup is just a fun mixture of: tomato paste, coconut aminos, lemon juice, Red Boat fish sauce, and salt. Feel free to use actual ketchup if you don’t mind the sugar.
- 2 lb ground chicken thighs (dark meat)
- ½ cup unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 2 Tbl chicken bone broth (optional)
- Zest of 1 small lemon
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 Tbl fennel seeds
- 1 tsp dill
- 1 Tbl fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1½ tsp sea salt
- 2 sweet potatoes, ideally thick in diameter
- 2 Tbl coconut oil or ghee
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl -except sweet potato and oil- and mix well.
- Form burgers, aim for 2 per person, and lay them on one sheet pan.
- Bake until an internal temperature of 165 degrees F is reached, or inside is no longer pink, about 20 minutes.
- While burgers bake, slice the sweet potatoes into ½ inch thick rounds to make your 'buns'.
- Brush with oil, sprinkle with a couple pinches of salt, and bake until soft but not mushy, about 20 minutes, turning over halfway through.