Sweet Potato & Beet Sauce
I made this super simple recipe for a client on the Autoimmune Protocol diet. I used it as an alternative to tomato sauce for meatballs, but it's also great with roasted chicken or fish.
Author: Grace Brinton
Recipe type: Sauce
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, diced
- 2-3 medium golden beets, peeled and diced
- 2 cups homemade broth (chicken or beef from pastured animals)
- 1 tsp salt, plus more to season later
- Water, as needed
- Place sweet potatoes and beets in a small pot with broth and salt. Add additional water if needed just so vegetables are submerged in liquid.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce and simmer, with lid of pot off, until beets and potatoes are tender.
- Puree mixture: it’s easiest to do this with an immersion blender right in the pot, but if you don’t have one, carefully puree in a blender.
- Return sauce to pot over medium heat, and simmer until sauce is your desired consistency. At first it will be a little more like soup than sauce, so if you want it thicker, allow it to cook for a bit, stirring occasionally.
- When sauce reaches desired consistency, adjust seasoning with salt and/or pepper as needed.
- *Note: feel free to add other seasoning to your liking. Consider 1 tsp of fresh thyme or 1 tsp minced fresh garlic added while the ingredients are cooking.
Sweet Potato & Beet Sauce was last modified: January 1st, 2016 by